Thursday, October 11, 2007

Email Letter To Warren County Supervisor Tony Carter

Mr. Carter,

I thought of you recently when I happened across this quote from George Orwell: "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Now that the tax relief audit has been completed, absolving Mr. Smedley, won’t you share with us the underlying reasons you made your accusations?

I notice your back slapping buddy, Mr. Mabry, in nit-picking scramble mode trying to champion other flimsy accusations of additional wrong doing against Mr. Smedley, his opponent in November’s election. Could this be more political muckraking? Do you, Mr. Carter, continue to support Mabry?

If you were in possession of bona fide evidence or knowledge of wrongdoing would you not have taken it to the Commonwealth’s Attorney for investigation, verification, and criminal charges if appropriate? You did not do that, did you?

The newspapers reported you as approaching a county employee to secretly investigate Mr. Smedley for wrongdoing, saying you knew he was “dirty”. That county employee “rats” you out and somehow gets fired from her job. Don’t you find that curious?

Lacking hard evidence, we are left to ponder alternative reasons for your actions. We are left to guess the most likely reason you made your accusation is political revenge for the long ago defeat you suffered when you sought your Party’s nomination for Mr. Smedley’s seat and were defeated. Egos are delicate things, aren’t they?

Could you have carried a grudge for so long over such a small issue as your political worthiness?

I’ve been meaning to ask you about an event that happened several months before the Smedley accusation. I was in the Planning & Zoning Office, researching the records on file for a certain property owned by one of your close friends, somebody we all know and love.

Shortly after I received the documents, I noticed your appearance in the hallway outside the office. You loitered in the hallway for the 10 minutes I took to examine the files.

When I exited the office, you were still lurking in the hallway, intently examining the nearly blank bulletin board near the doorway, and then nervously watching the ceiling tiles as I passed you by. I was reminded of Inspector Clouseau, the Peter Sellers character in the movie Pink Panther.

Exiting the building, I glanced over my shoulder just in time to see you enter the office I had just left.

I wrote it off as weird behavior; you were probably waiting for the bus to arrive. Would you care to enlighten me about your actions that day?

Best regards,

Bill Pierceall

No comments: